Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
vRD 2011 - question about license and upgrading to 2012+
Hey guys,

We have a vRD 2011 environment v. 7.0.3215.1 (Running on SQL Server 2012 SP4) and are looking into upgrading to the most recent versions of ASG. As far as I understand we have to first migrate the existing database to 2012, and then once that has been completed we can proceed with upgrading to the most recent versions.

I'm a bit confused as what this means in regards to our license (including vRD 2011 Info screenshot for reference) and have a couple of questions-

1) Can we upgrade/migrate our database to 2012 with the current license that we have? (see attached Info screenshot) Or do we first need to upgrade the license?

2) Once our database is on version 2012 do we need to acquire licenses prior to upgrading vRD to ASG 2018? Or is it all part of the same process?

3) Who should we point our Purchasing team to so that they could procure the appropriate license(s) we may need for this procedure?

I'm attaching a screenshot of our Info page in vRD 2011. Please let me know if there's any additional info you may need.

Thanks,
Alex

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1. Yes you can download version 2012, upgrade should be no problem with your current license...

2. If you want to upgrade to the latest version you will need to buy valid licenses to start the data upgrade process

3. You can send an eMail to asg.rd@asg.com - the Sales team will assist you in upgrading your license
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
(24-07-2018, 11:02 AM)DevOma Wrote: 1. Yes you can download version 2012, upgrade should be no problem with your current license...

2. If you want to upgrade to the latest version you will need to buy valid licenses to start the data upgrade process

3. You can send an eMail to asg.rd@asg.com - the Sales team will assist you in upgrading your license

Hey Oliver,

Thank you for the response. In regards to points #1 and #2, do I understand correctly that once we upgrade to 2012 with our current license, we can purchase the most recent ASG license and upgrade directly from 2012 > 2018?

Thanks,
Alex
Yes! Just create a new environment in version 2018 and choose "Environment => Upgrade from 2012" - your data will be read and transferred to the new environment...
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
(25-07-2018, 08:46 AM)DevOma Wrote: Yes! Just create a new environment in version 2018 and choose "Environment => Upgrade from 2012" - your data will be read and transferred to the new environment...

Sounds good, thank you. Currently I am running into the following error (see attached screenshot) while trying to connect to our 2011 environment using ASG 2012, is there any workaround here other than getting a new license? It's possible that I'm using the wrong XML license file, and I'm checking with my team whether we have a newer one available but figured I'd ask here in the meantime. Was hoping that we could at least test upgrading to 2012 without having to purchase anything.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Upgrade is only possible with a valid license file - you can install version 2018 and test it for 30 days (without migration of your old data)
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
(30-08-2018, 12:33 PM)DevOma Wrote: Upgrade is only possible with a valid license file - you can install version 2018 and test it for 30 days (without migration of your old data)

Thanks Oliver, I was able to find the proper license and upgrade our test db to 2012, thank you for your assistance! In regards to testing ASG 2018, are there any instructions available? I installed the client on my VM test machine, but I am unable to test anything beyond opening the environment selection screen. Since we do not have a 2018 license I am unable to upgrade/connect to the databases we have. Do I need to download the version that comes with SQL Express and standing up a dummy environment?

-Alex
You can also create a test database with eval license on your existing SQL server - so you don't need to install SQL Express.

If you need any help have a look into the help file or let me know and I will assist you...
Regards/Gruss
Oliver