Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Random Crashing
Hi Support

we are running asg 2018 update 4 in a team environment (approx 15 users) connecting back to a single SQL Instance on a dedicated SQL server also running the latest version of ASG, however are finding that the application crashes multiple times per day for no apparent reason. 

do you have any idea why this might be and how we may resolve the issue. it has only started happening in the last month or so prior the that the system has been rock solid with no issues.

below is the application log from event viewer

Faulting application name: ASGRD.exe, version: 11.0.5876.0, time stamp: 0x5a74229a
Faulting module name: Windows.UI.XamlHost.dll, version: 10.0.17134.1, time stamp: 0xecdec09f
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x000058af
Faulting process id: 0x3a18
Faulting application start time: 0x01d42c9cc378045c
It's the second time a user reports that error - but we do not use this dll - so it is bind by any component causes the crash - we can try to add a function that you can specify dll's that should be loaded on startup - we got this hint from MS - but we plan a Patch for this week and I would try to add this afterwards and make a private build - if you want you can test it if that helps...
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
HI

we would be happy to test a private build, please send us details of where to download from etc, and we can get this installed.
We made some tests regarding the idea to load the dll's that causes a possible crash - but it is not working as expected - we will try to find another solution

And we will try to add FreeRDP as an alternative RDP protocol - because we guess it is the mstsc-ActiveX that causes the crashes...
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
(14-08-2018, 12:36 PM)DevOma Wrote: We made some tests regarding the idea to load the dll's that causes a possible crash - but it is not working as expected - we will try to find another solution

And we will try to add FreeRDP as an alternative RDP protocol - because we guess it is the mstsc-ActiveX that causes the crashes...

I am frequently encountering this as well. Is there any update on a fix?
Currently not...
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
We had the same problem, with the same error regarding Windows.UI.XamlHost.dll being post in the windows event log. Updating our nvidea display drivers seems to have solved it.
Having the same problem (and it does not reconnect all the sessions afterwards :-( ) , but my client is fully updated, so display drivers is not solving all issues.
Are you still working on this and/or is there any chance of implementing "reconnect to all last sessions before crash" ?
I know we implement a new setting that is storing the "Last used sessions" with ever connect / disconnect instead of using the connections at normal program exit - but I can't find it myself and I'm on vacation - but I will let you know right after - if it is really lost, we will reimplement - but I know that we tested this feature some weeks ago - must do some research in source control...
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
Since version 2018 Patch3 it should work as you need - even if the program crashes the list of opened connections will be restored - I tested with the latest builds and it works as expected - which version are you running?
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
I am using 11.0.6104.1 on the client and 11.0.6064.1 on the ASG-server, it does not reconnect after it crashes.
And you have activated "Restore disconnected sessions on program start" in Settings=>Connections? We tested again (end the program by Task Manager kill) and the sessions are always restored if this settings enabled
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
I did not notice that setting, I have enabled it now and will get back to you with the result, fingers crossed :-)
I have now tested, and it does not restore the sessions when it crashes this way.
If you close the app with open connections are these connections restored at startup? If yes, can you try to open one connection and then kill the application within Task Manager and start again - is the connection restored then? We tested on different systems and it is always working…

Are you working in file mode or database mode? Just for retesting...
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
If I close the app, the sessions are restored but not if I kill it in the task manager.

I am using database mode.
I found the option that I was looking for - I'm sorry, you have to activate "Settings=>Application=>Save layout and connection list on every connect/disconnect action"

Then it should work also for you!
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
It does not reconnect all the sessions but is only able to prompt for login for 1 of the servers, an error is received for the other server. As you can see from the screenshot I get a login prompt for server .113 but .114 does not prompt me.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ok so the connections are restored now - has the connection object some credentials assigned? I didn't see that kind of error message before - please let me know if you have this issue with all connections or only some specific?
Regards/Gruss
Oliver