Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ASG Remote Desktop / VissionApp - TLS 1.0
Hello,
We are rolling out a Windows 10 in our environment with TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 disabled on the client. With these protocols disabled on the desktop, I am not able to connect  / access the database after installing -->launching the app and connecting add to access the database. 
The error that I get when I enter in the remote server name, Database server and Database name is the following.
Connection Check Failed
A connection was successfully established with the server but then an error occurred during the login process. (Provider: SSL Provider error: 0 - The client and server cannot communicate because they do not possess a common algorithm.
Is there a way to have the ASG Remote Desktop client connect to the remote desktop with TLS 1.0 and 1.1 disabled on the workstation? 
Please advise.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Why do you disable TLS? I think your SQL server is configured to use TLS and if the client don't support TLS it will result an error like you have. There is no special configuration from client side. We just use the sql connection string to connect to a database instance.
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
The industry is moving away from TLS 1.0 and 1.1 as these are older protocols. Many organizations disabled these protocols due to major security concerns.

The SQL backend has been updated to support TLS 1.2 but it looks like the application (ASG Remote Desktop) does not support communicating via this protocol. We have had this same issue with other applications and the vendor provided guidance on how to configure their app to use a newer ODBC connection that support TLS 1.2.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sql_pfe...derations/

Is there any guidance on what we can do to make / update the application work with a newer ODBX Driver. I have a strong feeling the app is using an older ODBC Driver to make its connection to SQL.
We do not use any ODBC driver - it's the native SQL component from .NET - so I'm wondering that this component does not use the latest version of TLS protocol - but I will try to research why and what you can do...
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
Which exact version number of ASG-RemoteDesktop do you use? We recently upgraded to .NET 4.6.2 - and this should allow the app to communicate with TLS 1.2 - the first version using .NET 4.6 was 2018 Patch2!
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
We are using ASG- Remote Desktop 2012
TLS is not known for ASG-RD 2012 - the old .NET framework will not support - you need to upgrade to the latest version
Regards/Gruss
Oliver