Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Samples for External Applications
[EXT. APP] UNC connection on C$

Ext. App Settings:
Name: e.g. \\Server\C$
File name: cmd
Arguments: /C @net use \\%ComputerName%\c$ %Password% /user:%Domain%\%Username% && explorer \\%ComputerName%\c$
wait for exit: false
try to integrate: false

Opens an explorer on C$. We use this often to put some files on a system.
The Microsoft Management Console on the News/Updates page and the Computer Management on this forum don't seem to work for me. Not sure if because we're using Windows 7 or because we have lockdown Desktop but calling compmgmt.msc directly does not seem to work, it seems to want an exe file.

Anyway I've made my own version that calls mmc and passes compmgmt.msc as an argument instead and that works. I've attached an alternative vra to import.

PS On Remote Desktop 2011 Patch 1 it doesn't let me export individual External Apps as a vra file (option is greyed out). I have to highlight External Applications in the tree and export all External Apps instead. Then manually modify the file to include just the one app.

Attached Files
.vra   ComputerMgmt.vra (Size: 1.63 KB / Downloads: 2,532)
Our team normally uses Firefox as a browser, and found a way to integrate. It won't work as a tab inside visionapp, but will load its own tab in firefox.

You must put firefox in your system path. We did this because it was installed in 3 different locations on the machines we checked.

External Application
Display Name: Firefox
File Name: firefox.exe
Arguments: -new-tab %weburl%

Then create a new connection:
Name: Whatever
Web URL: http://yourURL
Protocol: Ext. App. [Configure, and select firefox]
Finish

Now you can bring up your VisionApp links in Firefox tabs.
for 64-bit systems the path is wrong. It needs (x86) in the program files directory. Works great on 32-bit systems though. Second, the username field isn't being populated with the domain name when I configure the credentials.
journals Wrote:for 64-bit systems the path is wrong. It needs (x86) in the program files directory. Works great on 32-bit systems though. Second, the username field isn't being populated with the domain name when I configure the credentials.

Anyone know how to input the argument computername , user , password... for an external application using java.

In case it's for launch cisco ASDM.

thanks
bubar Wrote:
journals Wrote:for 64-bit systems the path is wrong. It needs (x86) in the program files directory. Works great on 32-bit systems though. Second, the username field isn't being populated with the domain name when I configure the credentials.

Anyone know how to input the argument computername , user , password... for an external application using java.

In case it's for launch cisco ASDM.

thanks

I adding an other situation: how to input credential in a web browser (for some firewall or network card management)
in my case Dell Drac or LILO HP

thanks
(30-04-2010, 02:35 PM)Thomas Hertwig Wrote: <b>[EXT. APP] UNC connection</b>

<u>Ext. App Settings:</u>
File name: explorer
Arguments: %computername%
wait for exit: false
try to integrate: false

<u>Connection Settings:</u>
Computer name: \\host\share
Protocol: Ext. App (with the ext. app from above selected)

I can't seem to get this to work. It keeps opening the local explorer window.

Someone requested I post the Chrome config too. Pretty much exactly like Firefox.
You could put Chrome in your system path.
Also, FWIW to you Linux users...Try PAC, Perl Auto Connector. Pretty robust VisionApp-like Linux application.

External Application
Display Name: Chrome
File Name: C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
Arguments: -new-tab %weburl%

Then create a new connection:
Name: Whatever
Web URL: http://yourURL
Protocol: Ext. App. [Configure, and select Chrome]
Finish
Like Putty with more features
Hi All

I'm quickly posting my own Ext Apps here as well:

Networking:
- nslookup
- ping
- ping (forever)
- traceroute

Other:
- Firefox
- Internet Explorer
- Password Agent
- TightVNC Viewer
- VMware vSphere Client

SSH:
- PLINK: remote firefox (requires local X11 server)
- PLINK: remote Terminal (bash) (requires local X11 server)
- Putty
- Putty (same credentials)
- WinSCP (FTP)
- WinSCP (SFTP)

Windows:
- Computer Management (mmc)
- explorer (opens explorer at \\server\)
- net re-use (disconnects IPC$ share and reconnect with different cred)
- psexec: cmd (open cmd.exe on remote windows)

note:
- using variables and relative paths starting at your VRD-homedir works fine
- paths like ..\xy\z.exe and ExterntalApplications\some.exe and %ProgramFiles%\some\thing.exe can be and are used
- cmd command 'aggregation' with ampersand (&) is utilized, setting window title and pausing at the end
- i'm using Xming X11 with an autostart shortcut like %ProgramFiles%\Xming\Xming.exe :0 -clipboard -multiwindow -ac -s 1 +kb -multimonitors -xkblayout de

Attached Files
.vra   gebaschtel-ext-apps.vra (Size: 35.67 KB / Downloads: 2,950)
Hi,

I was using the External Application > Computer Management since the base version of vRD2011. However, when I patched it to the latest version of vRD (patch3), it is prompting an error:

"The application could not be started.
The speciafied executable is not a valid Win32 application.
The applicaiton could not be started."

I have redownloaded the .vra on this link and reimported, still not working.

Any idea why?

Thanks,
Alvin
What OS are you on? XP or 7? (i'm still an XP user also with VRD2011P3)

Make sure this command works from your cmd.exe
%SystemRoot%\system32\mmc.exe compmgmt.msc /computer:%COMPUTERNAME%

somehow it seems that VRD can't find mmc.exe.

what you might try is the following:

exec: %SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe
args: /c title BLAH & mmc.exe compmgmt.msc /computer:%computername% & pause

there should be a cmd-box poping up titled BLAH and launching then mmc and pausing.

good luck

if VRD still complains something's wrong with your PATH, cmd.exe or mmc.exe can't be found
Display name: Terminal Sessions
File name: cmd.exe
Arguments: /K qwinsta.exe /server:%computername%
Wait for exit: NO
Try to integrate: YES, 0/15secs

Displays sessions currently logged in on the remote computer.
Hello, I've been using this remote dektop utility for several years (and it's been great), but i've only ever used it to manage RDP connections. now I'm wondering if i can improve productivity with these "external applications". i can't seem to get a handle on what it is exactly though... I've tried some of the examples here - cmd, explorer, etc, but it seems that it's launching applications on my local machine that just *point* to the remote system. i was hoping that i could use it to run applications that *reside* on the remote system (and do not exist locally) without having a full RDP session. Am i simply misunderstanding the point of this feature?
(17-08-2015, 04:51 PM)biztalkguy Wrote: Hello, I've been using this remote dektop utility for several years (and it's been great), but i've only ever used it to manage RDP connections.  now I'm wondering if i can improve productivity with these "external applications".  i can't seem to get a handle on what it is exactly though... I've tried some of the examples here - cmd, explorer, etc, but it seems that it's launching applications on my local machine that just *point* to the remote system.  i was hoping that i could use it to run applications that *reside* on the remote system (and do not exist locally) without having a full RDP session.  Am i simply misunderstanding the point of this feature?

I was having the same confusion, but if you use your Navigation side panel and go to the External Applications bit at the bottom you can add them there.

Once they are added they can be accessed on any existing connection by simply right clicking the connection and choosing external applications

I started with a simple ping and set the arguments to -t %computername%

Already this is useful for us
This sounds very interesting. But i cannot import vra-Files, only rde-files. These are not compatible.
We use: ASG2017, Focus on Ext. Applications, Import Wizard
Thanks for your help
(05-10-2017, 09:25 AM)rjoss Wrote: This sounds very interesting. But i cannot import vra-Files, only rde-files. These are not compatible.
We use: ASG2017, Focus on Ext. Applications, Import Wizard
Thanks for your help

we have the same problem with ASG 2018
Hi,
we only support rde-files as a single container that can contain all kinds of informations that we are able to handle in ASG-RD. We changed that already some years ago.
On the other hand the *.vra file is pure ASCII and its information can be read easily so the external app can be realized very quick from that info in RD2018. Do you have a lot of external applications in the old format ?
Best regards,
Michael
best regards,
Michael -- michael.scholz@asg.com --