Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RDP Connection Destination Improvement
I have many servers that have many IP addresses, such as web servers, SQL servers, and servers with storage NICs. I am using the VMWare vSphere synchronization to maintain our database and selecting IPv4 for the Name/Destination Mapping. When the VMware synchronization begins, it usually populates the destination with the last IP/NIC as listed in vSphere server properties. Which can be an APIPA address on an old NIC long since removed. I would like the connection's, Connection Property to have a selectable destination if/when there are multiple IP addresses or NIC's configured for a server. The synchronization should record all IP addresses in the destination field, and a simple dropdown menu to display all IP addresses configured for a servers connection parameters would be most helpful. Once synchronized, I can select a specific NIC/IP address to use for the connection. This selected/default destination should also be persistent through successive synchronizations if the IP address exists. This same enhancement may need to be done for the MAC address field and IP address field for servers with multiple NICs.

This would help a lot since a server cluster has many IP addresses that can migrate to other hosts as necessary to maintain operations. I may log onto the wrong server if a clustered resource moves since the last synchronization believing the whole time I am on another server.

An additional feature to add would be an FQDN attribute to the connection parameters which can append FQDN when necessary or all the time. It appears that the synchronization for the destination is mapping the Guest Hostname of the VM to the destination when it should/could be using the Guest DNS name property within VMware. This has the full Hostname.FQDN of the server when configured. Maybe map the Guest Hostname to the General > Name: field, and the Guest DNS Name to the Conneciton > Destination: field.

If we were to combine these ideas into a single destination dropdown, I could select either a hostname or IP address depending on my needs or network conditions.

I hope these are doable, it is a pain having to reconfigure the many connections we have with multiple IP addresses every time we synchronize.
Yes makes sense - I try to add it for the next release Wink
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
(15-01-2016, 10:03 AM)DevOma Wrote: Yes makes sense - I try to add it for the next release Wink

Hi, has there been any development on this matter?

I use the latest build of ASG and see that only the IP address on the bottom of the list gets imported from vcenter. This is not always the IP address I need to use to connect to the system.

Regards.
Yes - it's already fixed and will be part of the next version (planned for March)
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
(07-02-2017, 04:36 PM)DevOma Wrote: Yes - it's already fixed and will be part of the next version (planned for March)

HI DevOma, I cannot find this change in my version v13.0.6985.1.
Has this feature ever been implemented ?

It would be nice to have the fqdn when syncing from Vmware  instead of the ip address or the vm name only.
In fact, when RDP SSL certificate is used to secure the connections and the ip or vm name is used, the RDP clients cannot recognize the remote server identity therefore it loads the certificate warning.
It's quite annoying.

Thanks
Name and IP is implemented and should be also in V13...

But you are asking for fqdn - that was not requested and is not available...
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
(02-08-2021, 03:20 PM)DevOma Wrote: Name and IP is implemented and should be also in V13...

But you are asking for fqdn - that was not requested and is not available...

That was requested by Davisar5.

Quote:An additional feature to add would be an FQDN attribute to the connection parameters which can append FQDN when necessary or all the time. It appears that the synchronization for the destination is mapping the Guest Hostname of the VM to the destination when it should/could be using the Guest DNS name property within VMware. This has the full Hostname.FQDN of the server when configured. Maybe map the Guest Hostname to the General > Name: field, and the Guest DNS Name to the Conneciton > Destination: field.

In an infrastructure where the RDP servers are secured with SSL certificates, it is mandatory to use FQDN instead of ip or name.
Could you please add this feature in the vmware field mapping sync for next software releases ?
Thanks
Ok - just reviewed it and it works like this

Object name is always "machine name" - machine name is default for "Connection destination" - but if OSHostName has a value - this is used for the Destination field - and that should be the FQDN!

So it's already there!
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
(03-08-2021, 01:57 PM)DevOma Wrote: Ok - just reviewed it and it works like this

Object name is always "machine name" - machine name is default for "Connection destination" - but if OSHostName has a value - this is used for the Destination field - and that should be the FQDN!

So it's already there!

You are right: the FQDN is used in the "Connections \ Destination", but only if you choose the view "Host and Clusters" in the VMware Options. When you choose the other view "VMs and Templates", "Connections \ Destination" contain the VM name (not the FQDN).
Is this a behavior expected by design?

Thanks
Yes - I see - and now it is fixed!
Regards/Gruss
Oliver
(09-08-2021, 11:37 AM)DevOma Wrote: Yes - I see - and now it is fixed!

Excellent. Next release will contain the fix ? Thank you Smile
Thank you a lot Smile
I confirm it works fine now. I have the FQDN Smile

Cheers  Big Grin